Best of Sligo
Sligo has a number of memorable places which all tourists should check out.
The Sligo Abbe, a Dominican Friary, is in Abbey Street. It was founded by Maurice Fitzgerald in 1253, and destroyed by a terrible fire in 1414. It was rebuilt in its present form. In 1642, the Abbey was burned, causing everything valuable within its walls to be destroyed. Much of the structure, including the carved altar, choir and cloisters, remains intact to date. It costs €2.10 for adults to enter. Group and family discounts are offered, as well as price reductions for students. However, it will remain closed to visitors until February 2008 due to maintenance purposes.
The Famine Memorial near Quay Street remains open all hours. It is one of the three sculptures specially built by the Sligo Famine Commemoration Committee in order to show respect to the victims of the Irish Potato Famine (1845 – 1849) which caused over 30,000 people to immigrate through the port of Sligo. A plaque in the background tells the sad story of one such family.
The Model Arts and Niland Gallery at the Mall hosts an amazing permanent exhibition of the works of Jack B. Yeats, the brother of the poet W. B. Yeats. It also hosts a number of local and travelling exhibitions. It is also home to the beautiful Atrium Café, which is a free wireless hotspot too. The gallery exhibitions and visual events are mostly free, but advance booking is advised for visual events.
We had a
read our story
Best Of Sligo